One of the great joys of travel is experiencing a destination with all of your senses; learning its rhythms, exploring sites both everyday and extraordinary, and sampling its flavors. Food is a touchstone for discovering a place and its culture, and at National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World, cuisine plays a central—and scrumptious—role. We asked chefs from our lodges for recipes that capture the flavors of their destination. We hope you enjoy bringing these tastes of the world into your own kitchen.
1. Mash the bananas and set aside.
2. Use a dry pan and the sugar to make the caramel.
3. Heat the pan over a medium heat to dissolve the sugar, remember not to stir the sugar while cooking. Instead you can tilt the pan carefully to move it around.
4. Remove the caramel from heat and mix it with the mashed bananas, until you have a homogeneous blend.
5. Whip the milk cream with a mixer until it forms soft peaks.
6. Carefully fold in the whipped cream with the bananas mix.
7. Served it with slices of sauté bananas with caramel.
1. Heat the oven to 320° F.
2. Boil the salak fruit in a pot with 125ml of water and the half of sugar for 15 minutes.
3. Drain the salak fruit and set aside the salak syrup made.
4. Filling: Whip the eggs, sugar and vanilla, then mix the milk, milk cream, flour and cornflour until all are completely incorporated.
5. Pour the filling into a prepared crust.
6. For the topping use the cooked salak fruit and baked it for 40 minutes.
7. Served with the salak syrup.
Want to plan the trip of your dreams? Create a custom trip around this lodge.
See a specially crafted National Geographic itinerary including this lodge.
SHARE THIS WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY