Here is one of Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge's truly south African dishes and one which is an absolute favourite at the lodge, with applaud from all guests who taste this rich, luxurious dish freshly prepared by our Earth Lodge Chef.
Combine the barley and water: Combine the barley and water in the saucepan. Add a generous pinch of salt if desired.
Bring to a boil: Bring the water and barley to a boil over high heat. Keep an eye on the pot as barley will give off a lot of foam at first and can cause the pot to boil over.
Simmer the barley: When the barley has reached a boil, lower the heat to a low simmer, cover, and continue to cook until the barley is done, start checking at 25 minutes. The barley is done when it has tripled in volume and is soft yet chewy. Add more water if the pan becomes dry before the barley has finished cooking, check every 5 minutes until desired chewiness is reached.
Drain the barley (if necessary): When the barley is done, it will have absorbed most of the water. If there is a little water still left in the pot, just leave the barley to sit for 10 minutes, covered, until it has all been absorbed. If there is a lot of water left, drain the barley in a strainer over the sink.
Fluff the barley: With a fork, fluff the barley to separate the grains. Enjoy!
Pearl Barley Salad
1. Toast Cashew Nuts in the Oven Golden Brown
2. Roast Red Onion and Baby Corn
3. Julienne apricot and add all of the above ingredients to the Pearl Barley and mix it with a little of the curry sauce.
4. Garnish with Fresh Coriander (Cilantro)
1. Heat Oil and Dust Oxtail Meat with Flour and seal off in a Cooking Pot
2. Once Oxtail Has Been browned remove from Cooking Pot and set aside.
3. In the same cooking pot, sauté onions until softened, then add garlic, ginger and all spices to the Onion Mixture and sauté for 2minutes.
4. Once spices has released their aromas add tomato paste to the pot cook for 2minutes and then add the oxtail to the curry mixture.
5. Then pour beef stock into the pot covering the oxtail.
6. Bring the Curry Mixture to a Boil and then simmer for 2 Hours until meat is soft but not falling off the bone.
7. Season with Salt and Pepper
Want to plan the trip of your dreams? Create a custom trip around this lodge.
See a specially crafted National Geographic itinerary including this lodge.
SHARE THIS WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY